Sunday, April 29, 2007

Kaleidoscope #3

Did you ever drive by a road time after time and each time you do it, you say "next time I come this way, I am going to see what is down that road"? Well, there is a road like that a little north of Port Clinton and today was the "next time" that I had promised myself. I drove up this road which is right off of Rt. 61 and is sometimes gated. I found out why the gate is there as I drove up and up and up. There is no way that I would even want to consider driving here in the snow or ice. I found a map which gives the elevation at 1300 feet and I hope to head back there soon to verify that with my GPS.

I drove 2.9 miles enjoying several different vistas on my way up and when I saw a towering fire tower, I knew I had reached the end of the road. The fire tower is fenced off and I can only imagine the views that one would see from it. Not me, though, heights terrify me so I would never have been able to climb it even for a spectacular view.

I parked at the fire tower and walked to the gravel road behind the brown and white striped gate. As I headed downhill, I saw a large evergreen ahead of me on the left side of the road as the trail begins to bear to the right. A little further along, there were a pair of almost matching three foot stones on either side of the trail and I passed through them.

A little further along I saw a trail heading off on the right side of the road and decided to explore that area a little bit. I walked back to the little raised island and headed clockwise around it to the first faint trail on the left and soon saw a three trunked tree which looked like a good spot for my Kaleidoscope #3 box.

I hope you have the time to enjoy the views while you are driving up this mountain, they were beautiful on this lovely sunny day.

No comments: